Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ep.5 John Scofield: Uberjam Duex

Listening to a recording of myself trying to have a conversation with one of my idols has proven to be personally painful.  Since I was a teen I've been mentally preparing a list of questions of what I would ask John Scofield if I ever had the chance.  Here was my chance and not a single one of those questions came out.  Instead my brain went into fight or flight mode.  My heart was racing like a teenybopper sitting across from Lady Gaga.  All I can hear is how shaky my voice was, and after watching the video how extremely fidgety I can be when I'm nervous.

With that being said, what a dream come true it was for me to actually have a conversation with Scofield.  There is not much I could add to the accolades he has already received worldwide from musicians, critics, and fans.  With his instantly recognizable guitar tone, out of the box use of harmony, and sound twisting effects he has helped revolutionize electric rock and jazz guitar. The amount of groundbreaking artists he has collaborated with is nearly endless -- Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Charles Mingus, Herbie Hancock, MMW, and Bill Frisell are just a few on a list full of legends.  The man has been in the top of his profession for over 30 years and after listening to his new release Uberjam Deux, he shows no sign of stepping down any time soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment