Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Ep. 4 Reed Mathis: The Lifer

Having a conversation with Reed is a lot like playing music with him: you think you might be on the same level but then he starts to speak and you quickly realize that you're dealing with a titan.  To illustrate my point, one of the scariest onstage moments I've ever had was a few weeks ago. I was sitting in with Tea Leaf Green at the New Parish in Oakland and Reed steps up to me and says "Lets play something just you and I." Before I could even finish tuning my guitar Reed unleashed a combination of virtuosic bass chops and high-pitched effects that I've never come up against in all my time on stage.  I felt like a lightweight stepping into the ring with the heavyweight champion of the world.  It felt like I didn't even land a single punch.  Similar feelings surfaced as soon as the podcast started.  He is quick to answer any question with unapologetic honesty, insight, and wisdom.  He talks about how he has nothing to teach anybody, but in my experience just being around Reed is an education.



Tea Leaf Green live at the New Parish 7/20/13

No comments:

Post a Comment